Thursday 19 July 2007

Another View of the Loch…

For the last month, I have been working at a little restaurant, fifteen miles up the loch, commuting to and fro along the single-track road I wrote about here. The drive is beautiful, the scenery breathtaking and I count my blessings that I live and work in such a lovely place. Driving to work in the mornings I see some of our neighbours on the way; a red deer doe, in an open meadow, stands watching me as I drive past. A bit further on, there is a twenty or thirty yard section of the verge that is both playground and pantry for a group of rabbits. One of the last characters on my journey is a magnificent pheasant cock (just like the one below) who spends every morning on a certain section of old stonewall; he is so punctual that if I don’t see him, I know I’m either too early or too late! There are many others, but these ones are notable for their consistency.

Scottish-Highlands-Pleasant-Pheasant-Eating
It’s been interesting… finding myself back in the ranks of the workforce; jobs are few and far between out here. When I heard about this position, as a chef, I was disbelieving…the hours are so good and the situation so pleasant that I had to give it a shot and I’m enjoying it immensely! Perfect fit, I guess!

There’s no doubt about it, the transition back to working woman hasn’t been all smooth; my blog, for one has suffered while I adjusted to my new schedule, but one month on I am getting on top of the new hours. Having a husband who is willing to get to grips with thorny issues like dishes and bathrooms is absolutely recommended but M has taken this role to another level altogether! I’ve had new curtain rods installed throughout the house and the curtains all hung (first week), a steam cleaned and streamlined kitchen (second week), a re-designed and re-decorated bathroom (third and fourth weeks) and all accomplished in between M’s usual workshop, garden and internet tasks…now we just have to finishing editing all our photo’s and I will update with the happenings here at Otter Ferry!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...